Cowspiracy

As most of my friends will know, I spend a lot of my time on Netflix. I've seen most of the TV series that's worth watching: The Office US, Scandal and House of Cards are just a few of my faves.
But recently when I was browsing Netflix I came across something a little different; the documentary Cowspiracy.


Around the time I started learning more about food and making decisions that lead me to being a midweek vegetarian, I found myself watching a lot of shockumentories. I watched Earthings (which made me cry four times), Vegucated (which made me consider if casual vegetarianism was even worth it) and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead just for fun. The common theme in all of these documentaries is that most people don't really understand the impact that animal production is having in our world and to our bodies. But more, importantly that they don't want to talk about it when they do know.

All the factors we generally think of when considering environmental impact, such as transportation and oil production, are nothing on the meat industry. During the documentary it is stated that raising animals for consumption uses 30% of global water, occupies 45% of the earths land, is responsible for up to 91% of the amazon deforestation and is a leading cause of species extinction.

Buying solar panels, biking to work and turning off lights in your home are all great and contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle, but by cutting meat out of your diet you can change the world.

I'm hoping that by continuing to eat vegetarian food myself and making meat and dairy more of an occasional event, I'll eventually be able to eat an entirely plant based diet.

This is an issue we can't just sweep under the carpet: we have got to start talking about meat.

No comments