Mildreds London

I was on my own in London recently and decided to treat myself to a nice dinner. Having had to eat dinner solo a few times over my accountancy placement it doesn't really bother me anymore. As it was a Friday I headed out to a veggie restaurant I had been keen to try out for a while: Mildreds


This cosy eatery takes no bookings, which means those who wish to dine there have to wait for it. As I  was alone and pretty content to chill with a cocktail this did not pose an issue. I walked in and put my name down and was told a 45 minute wait was my price to pay. As it was a Friday in Soho I shouldn't have been too surprised!


I ordered the cocktail of the week, asked for the wifi (Mildreds1988), and happily waited for my table.
The cocktail was deliciously refreshing for a hot London day. I chose the Bombay Cooler and at less that £8 was quite reasonably priced for Soho!



After only 30 minutes I was called to my table. The menu was selective and seasonal: I could have chosen anything and ate happily! Eventually I decided on a smashed avocardo with lime, chilli and blue corn chips (I had this side as a starter) and a Sri lankan sweet potato curry with roasted lime cashews, pea basmati rice and coconut tomato sambal as a main. These were actually both vegan and gluten free too.


The Guac was absolutely divine, and the chips were smokey without being salty. This was a delicious starter and went well with the elderflower fizz drink. The guy in the smart blue sleeve opposite was my date for the evening, Albert Camus' 'The Plauge' A girl has to keep herself with some company!


A short while after all but licking my avocado bowl clean my curry arrived. It was so creamy I almost couldn't believe that it was vegan. This was also the most expensive meal on the menu, but at £11 it fitted my budget very well.

I was offered a tempting array of desserts (the banoffee creme brulee with salted caramel bananas and chocolate chip shortbread definitely caught my eye!), but as the portions were generous I simply couldn't have fitted it in. 

Sometimes eating alone can be quite depressing, but it was a really exciting experience at Mildreds. The restaurant was filled with city workers and hippies alike, with first dates and old friends meeting in one space. The staff were passionate and kept calm during a busy Friday night, and when my bill had change of £30 for a cocktail, soft drink, starter, main and tip I was very impressed. 

I've already been raving to anyone who'll listen to me about how good the food is here. Even if you're not a regular veggie the food is tasty enough to tempt any meat eaters to go to the green side for the night.



No comments