Zesty Lemon Posset

This is one of my new favourites for a super simple dessert. This takes approximately 10 minutes to prepare, then after chilling in the fridge for a few hours it's ready to go. I love making this for dinner parties as you can rely on it every time.



I saw the recipe for this while watching my favourite show of the week; Saturday Kitchen Live. It's not often that I get to watch this is in full as I often wake up a little too late or am out and about. However when I do get to watch it I’m always left inspired and excited about what to cook that week. As I'm crazy about anything citrus this recipe caught my fancy and I knew I just had to make it.



This recipe requires only three ingredients: double cream, sugar and lemons. 


I adapted the original Tom Kerridge recipe by adding in the fine zest of one lemon to the posset, as I think it adds a little more bite. I personally love quite strong citrus flavours, so if you're looking for something a little less intense then you can easily leave the zest out.


Make sure to keep stirring while the mixture is on the heat to avoid your possets becoming a little lumpy. 
These are such crowd pleasers as they're small and not too heavy after a few courses already. Another bonus is as only one pan is involved in the cooking there's not too much washing up!


I would say this recipe usually makes eight servings, but I wasn't able to find the other two ramekins so had to improvise. I guess that one will just have to go to the cook; what a shame!

RECIPE:
Makes 6-8 possets (depending on the size of your ramekins!) 

Ingredients:
450ml double cream
125g granulated sugar
2 lemons (both juiced, one zested)

Method:
Stir the cream and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved
Put the mixture on the heat and bring to the boil
Once boiling turn the heat right down for another two minutes, stirring frequently
Add in the juice and zest (optional) and stir until completely mixed
Set aside to cool for five minutes, and then skim the bubbles off the top of the mixture
Pour into your ramekins, and place in the fridge for at least two hours

Dust a little icing sugar over the top of your possets before serving.



Are you as obsessed with lemon as I am? Let me know how you got on with the possets!

No comments