Best Banana Smoothie

This smoothie is sweet, creamy and totally delicious
It takes about four minutes to make and is sure to keep you full till lunch time making it a win in my books.


 It's now my last week of lectures for 2015 at University, and with a couple of deadlines looming I don't have time to eat a large breakfast in the morning.
Instead a simple smoothie which is quick to make and can be eaten by the time I get to the Business School is the ideal solution.

In order to make this smoothie I used items that I have kicking around my cupboard.
The flax seeds and chia seeds that I'm using are totally optional as they don't really add much flavour, but they are both incredibly good for you as they are full of nutrients but not many calories (win).

Dates are my new wonder food. Rumor has it that if you blend them they turn into caramel, which sounds like some sort of witchcraft to me, and is something I will definitely be looking into over the next few weeks.

This smoothie calls for a frozen banana so does involve some night before prep, but if you forget to or are reading this in the morning expecting a smoothie to be ready made just put a couple of ice cubes in with a fresh banana.

P.S. this is also a pretty damn good hangover cure; there's something magical about bananas that always sort me out after a heavy night on The Toon

RECIPE
Makes one large serving

Ingredients:
1 frozen banana (make sure you peel it before putting it in the freezer!)
250ml unsweetened almond milk (you could use soy milk, or indeed cows milk)
1/2 tbsp good quality peanut butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 dried dates
1 tsp ground flax seeds (optional)
1 tsp chia seeds (optional)

Method:
Pour the almond milk in your blender then toss in all the other ingredients. It helps the blender out a bit if you chop up the frozen banana first.
Blitz for around 5 seconds then take the blender off the base and give it a good shake - it's always off putting when you have a big hunk of ice cold banana in your smoothie!
Re attach the blender and give it another good blast until its completely smooth-ie (sorry).

Pour into a big glass and enjoy!


No comments